Thursday, October 21, 2010

I have facts on Dele Giwa’s murder – Debo Bashorun

Former Army Press Attache to ex-military president, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (retd.), Maj. Debo Bashorun (retd.), on Tuesday said he had facts relating to the murder of the founding Editor-in-Chief of Newswatch magazine, Mr. Dele Giwa.

He was killed after a parcel bomb exploded in his Ikeja, Lagos home on October 19, 1986 during the regime of Babangida.

Bashorun, who spoke in Lagos at the presentation of a 123-page book titled, ‘Murder of Dele Giwa: The Answered Question,’ said, “I’ve been able to resist all entreaties for me not to document what I know about the murder of the frontline journalist and brother, Dele Giwa. So, I am going all out to make public all information at my disposal on the incident which I have committed into a book.

“I have facts for Nigerians. My belief is that no matter how long, the truth must prevail. I have a book I am working on similar to what is being presented here today.”

Bashorun said he returned on Tuesday (yesterday) from Europe, where he went to discuss with those to publish his forthcoming book on the murder of Giwa.

“This nation can work if we keep the love of money aside. I was offered huge sums of money to drop my pursuit of this matter.

“For 20 years, I was separated from my family. I did not watch my children grow but if this is the sacrifice I have to make to let Nigerians know the truth, so be it

“I know the truth will definitely come out one day. If they kill me in the process of unearthing the truth, well, I am not bothered. My family has warned me but it is a cause I believe in and I have to carry it out.”

Also speaking, the author of the book, Mr. Richard Akinnola, said he decided to put in proper perspective the painful attempt to distort facts relating to Giwa’s murder.

Akinnola added, “This book was written to draw attention to the serial murder of a number of journalists in the past couple of years and the imperatives of the investigations.

“It includes investigations into the murders of Godwin Agbroko, Omololu Falobi, Abayomi Ogundeji, Bayo Ohu and Udo Ugbagwu and the need to re-open investigations into them.”